Monday, December 7, 2009

Laugh, or cry?

I am told every kid does it at least once. I am glad Brynn was just being a kid, because I swear she is 3 going on 13. She has been learning how to use scissors at school, so we let her practice at home. She likes to practice cutting up paper usually, we didn't know she was practicing to go to beauty school.

**Edited to add that I failed to mention that this all took place 2 hours before we took our pics for our Christmas card. Woo hoo!**



Here is a sweet before pic of my baby B's hair before she gave herself a Mrs. Brady mullet.

Now, I must say, I am ever so thankful that she did not poke her eye out or stab herself with the scissors. It is just hair, and it will grow back, right? Well, that is when I want to laugh and think how funny it is. Then the vain side of me rears its ugly head and I think about how LONG I have been growing her bangs (since she was born!) and how I always thought I would help her have the kind of hair I always wanted. Now she looks very similar to my 1st or 2nd grade school picture with an 80's mullet. My friend Laura Connell had this exact haircut in 1985 that Brynn has given herself. Laura, if you have any pics, send me some so I can compare.


She told me, "Look Mom, it's short on top and long in the back." I said, "Yeah babe, that haircut is called a mullet!"
When she got out of the bathtub last night and I tried to brush what was left of her hair, she said, "Look Mom, it's spiky on top now!" Really? That's great. That was totally the look I was hoping you would be excited about.
Well, I can just be glad that she likes it and is proud to be rockin' her fe-mullet. She did let me take her in last night to my girl Kelly to get it evened up. Kelly happened to be a part of a fund raiser for another hairdresser friend who has been diagnosed with breast and stomach cancer, so I was glad to be able to be a part of that.
Kelly asked who helped her with it because it was actually layered and blended pretty well. Great. Way to go Brynn.
We considered the "pixie" and just evening it all out, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. So it is still a mullet for now. The back is just not so long.


Oh well, back to the drawing board. Brynn, I love you more than you know and I am glad you like your new haircut. Your hair will grow out again in another 3 years. No biggie!
By the way, the MJ Photo finalists should be posted on her blog this afternoon. I thank you all so much for your support. The winner of the free photo session is my neighbor, Janet Godek!!! Thank you so much everyone for your votes and Janet, thank you so much for passing it along to so many people! We'll talk and get a date set up for your session! Congrats!

3 comments:

  1. OH. MY. GOD. I am laughing hysterically reading about Brynn's hair!! I love that she's smiling in the pictures, as though she's quite pleased with her work. Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kelly...i think every child does this-my son took the scissors to our youngest-luckily her hair is jet black so you couldn't tell . . . exactly. :)

    BTW-so excited you made it to the MJ 2nd Round!! Congratulations!
    Nicole K.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly, My Mom and I took a look at your blog . . . We coudln't stop laughing at Brynn's New Do! Luckily she is a very cute girl and can pull it off.

    ReplyDelete