Saturday, January 23, 2010

Thank you, Bikram

I was not familiar with Mr. Bikram Choudhury, I only made his acquaintance last week. My sister-in-law introduced us. I wasn't so sure about him at first, but after 90 minutes, I gave him the thumbs up.

As I became acquainted with his philosophies, I struggled for breath. I felt my muscles burn and stretch and the sweat drip down my forehead, and arms, and legs, and back. In fact, I have NEVER sweat -or sweated? - so much in my whole entire life...combined.

The room was heated to a suffocating 105 degrees of thick, heavy air with 40% humidity. As I lay on my back in "Savasana," or Dead Body Pose, I could feel gravity pulling that stifling, hot, hot air down on my lungs. Mentally, I fought off the smothering feeling of claustrophobia creeping up on me.

I slowly turned my head to look at the door that would be my escape to the refreshing, cool lobby. I quietly willed it to open on its own. Even half a breath of fresh air would have sufficed. I could feel the sweat tickling down the back of my scalp. Never in my life have I had such an insatiable urge to take a shower. It was like an out of body experience and was a complete physical and mental challenge. I loved it.



Mary warned me beforehand, "I'm telling you it is like hell on earth, you will be so hot and feel like you are going to pass out and throw up all at once, but when you are done you feel amazing and want to do it again. Really, it's a vicious cycle."

I was so nervous before class, I could feel the adrenaline and butterflies flowing through my entire body. But, believe it or not, she was right. After class, I bought the 30 day unlimited class package for $39. Anyone want to come with me?

1 comment:

  1. Sounds fun and super intense - too bad we are so far away!! Loved reading this blog and you are a great writer - it was like reading part of a book - nice work Kelly

    ReplyDelete