Thursday, November 18, 2010

Hammocks, popsicles & Jimmy

The night before we left, Brynn was running a fever, had a terrible cough, a sore throat, and a runny nose to boot.  I didn't sleep much at all and was actually already awake when my alarm clock rang at 4am.  I felt guilty leaving my sick kid with my mom and my mother-in-law for our long weekend away.  I also wondered how in the world I was not going to catch what she had.  No such luck.  Ky got it too.  We all are still recovering.

After months of working frantically shooting sessions, editing, placing orders, etc. it was time for me to stop in my tracks and regroup and collect my thoughts...and get some sleep.  It was really strange, but for the first time ever, it took me a good 24 hours to unwind completely.  I think I was wound up pretty tight.  The Key Lime Pie martinis at Tommy Bahamas in Naples helped also.  In fact, I could feel a different muscle in my body relax a little with each sip.

It was kind of a blessing in disguise that I was not feeling 100% while on vacation because I didn't have to take care of anyone but myself and didn't have anyone to be accountable to, except Chad.  This was the first time since our honeymoon that we had gone away just the two of us (minus the two years we lived in Dallas) without a group of friends or another couple.  Chad has been traveling so much for work lately, it felt awesome to just be with each other.  We ate when we wanted to eat, we napped when we wanted to nap, and had no agenda whatsoever. 

We also caught a few sunsets...



...and took a great road trip down to Key West.



Our hotel, Casa Marina Resort, was so wonderful, I would recommend to anyone.  They had the best Mango Lemonade mixers ever and the pool boy came around to everyone at 2pm every day and passed out the biggest popsicles I have ever seen.

There were big rafts in the pool that were perfect for keeping cool while sunbathing.  While I partook in this such activity, I had my feet dangling over the side in the water, the breeze blowing off the ocean, and some Kenny Chesney & Jimmy Buffett tunes floating in my ears.  Just when I thought I was in heaven, I felt a splat on my right leg.  I knew what it was before I even looked.  Some skanky, gross seagull pooped right on my leg.  Talk about being jerked back to reality. haha

Speaking of Jimmy Buffett, a couple we met a the pool sat next to him at dinner the night before.  I thought that was cool.


(Banana) hammock.

 

We laid on our lounge chairs and watched the sun go down.

 



We did some touristy things...we hit Duval Street for some nightlife, etc.  We also went to Kenny's favorite restaurant Blue Heaven for some delicious breakfast.

 




 

We also did some shopping.  I LOVED this store "Besame Mucho."



We also fit in some time to visit my grandparents in Boca Raton.  We hit up historic Worth Avenue in Palm Beach and had a fabulous dinner at the restaurant at The Breakers hotel.  We ate dinner next to Wayne Gretzky, Greg Gumble, Ricky Barnes (a golfer) and the bald guy from The Office having a drink together at the bar.  Kind of a weird mix of people.  I did not get any pictures of that...I didn't want to be obnoxious.


John-o & Loey.  These are two of my favorite people.

 

Not having kids with us allowed us the opportunity to explore some places we had never been before...like this beautiful beach on Lover's Key near Ft. Myers.  You have to do a little hiking to get to the beach, but it was worth it.





I will be back to our regularly scheduled programming tomorrow...Friday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment