Sunday, March 13, 2011

56 (in dog years)

Dear Berkeley,

Never before have I met someone with such fierce loyalty.

When I go to bed at night, you are there by my side.
When I wake up in the morning, I hear your tail knocking things over.
When I go upstairs, when I go downstairs, when I go to the bathroom.
You are there with me.  My shadow.

I know Dad tries to tell you sometimes that I never wanted you...but wait, let me explain...you see, I had never had a pet.  I just thought dogs were stinky and hairy.  Well, they are, but you are my stinky and hairy thing.  And that makes me so happy.

I know that you aren't too happy with us right now.  You hate all the wood floors.  The short little walks.  The smallest yard you've ever seen.  Not sleeping in our bed.  And that makes me sad.

I promise to make it up to you.

You helped ease me into adulthood.  You have taught me to love like a mother.  You've laid with me when I was sad.  You've danced with me when I am happy.  I will be forever grateful.

I am lucky so share my birthday with you today.  My buddy and old pal.  Happy Birthday, old man.

Here's to many more birthdays together.

Love,
Your mama


I also want to send a birthday shout-out to my "F-I-L" (Father-in-law), my other birthday buddy and a loyal Vander-blogger.  Thanks for dinner tonight ;)

Thank you to Erica Marten for these photos of me & Berks.  I will always treasure them.  (I am so glad we did that lesson in backlighting!)

No comments:

Post a Comment