Friday, August 14, 2009

Katie & Brad: Wedding - Flossmoor, IL

Bittersweet. That's how my tears tasted as I desperately tried to get my eyes to focus through my camera lens. To say I cried would be an understatement. I sobbed through this particular wedding ceremony like I have never sobbed before at a wedding...especially one I was shooting. After seven years without my Aunt Amy in our lives, one would think the pain wouldn't have felt so sharp. The only remedy for the pain was the happiness I felt to be capturing a new chapter in my aunt's widow's life as he married his new bride, Katie.

It was seven years ago just last week that my aunt Amy, my dad's youngest sister (only 32 years old) was induced to deliver her baby boy after having a normal and healthy pregnancy. Somehow the delivery spun out of control as she tragically succumbed to an amniotic embolism. I'll spare you the details, but needless to say, the episode left her husband and young daughter (my cousin Megan) trying to celebrate life with the birth of their son and brother, meanwhile grieving the loss of their wife and mother. Bittersweet.

Brad has done a phenomenal job raising my cousins, Megan & Jacob, and has now started a new life with his new love, Katie, and her daughter, Gracie. They are now one, big, happy family and my family could not be happier for them.


The kids were all a part of the sweet, outdoor ceremony at The Wayside Chapel in Palos Park.
Megan getting buttoned up...
Gracie and Katie putting on the final touches.


Brad and Jake waiting for the girls. I think that may be the new norm for them ;)

Jacob

Megan

Gracie


The beautiful bride, Katie.





I love how Grace is looking up her her mom here as Katie started to get choked up. It was just before this moment that Megan, who looks IDENTICAL to my aunt Amy, turned and looked at me over her shoulder and gave me the most endearing, sweetest smile...it was at that moment when I lost it.



Jake was in charge of the rings.

Instead of a unity candle, they all poured different colored sand into this glass vase to signify family unity.







Checkout this outfit on my niece, Ella. Just a snapshot of her and my mom.





Sisters!

After the ceremony was a wonderful luncheon at the Flossmoor Station Brewery.



O'Reilly clan "tying one on." ;)

As Katie and Brad addressed their family and friends they mentioned that this was not the path they thought their lives were going to take, but they are so happy with how things have turned out.


Megan and my other cousin, Katie. Spitting images of their moms.

Katie's family.

Megan & my sis Lisa.

Brad's family.

My aunt Amy was smiling down on us that day. It was a beautiful celebration. Thank you Brad and Katie for letting me be a part of it. I hope you had a great time up in Traverse City, Michigan. I wish you all the very best. Lots of love. xoxox, Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment